Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
The labs are locked and the lab schedule shows open hours, what do I do?
- Due to the minimal staff and the possibility of equipment "walking away", labs that are not in use may be locked during open hours. If this is the case, usually one of the other NSSA labs is open to allow you to go to the equipment cage in the center. Ask the lab worker to open the lab for you.
There is a scheduled class in the lab and I want to use the lab, how do I do this?
- If a class or lab is scheduled, then students may use the lab for open lab hours with the faculty member who is teaching the class / lab approval. Please be aware, that with full class / lab sizes, the focus is the students in the course and their having access to equipment and facilities. It is never acceptable to walk in and start using the labs when a class is in session.
- If the schedule shows a class and the class has been cancelled, you may use the lab for open hours, with the exception of the security lab. This lab may only be used during scheduled open hours due to limited staffing.
Software / Hardware
I need to checkout equipment for use, how do I do this?
- Equipment may be checked out for the day (until we close) for use in the labs. It may not be removed from the labs for home use. You will need your student ID to check out the item and your ID will be kept until the item is returned. In cases of expensive equipment (laptops, routers, switches, rolling racks, etc.) you must also provide a driver license. You are responsible for any damage to the equipment while in your possession and will be charged for damage or non-returned equipment. See a lab worker in the cage (between the main NSSA labs) for assistance in checking out equipment.
I need the Windows 2008 / Windows 2003 / Windows XP CD, how do I get this?
- When you are in the labs, we have put the i386 folders on the solo server for your use. You do not need any Windows media for your class work in the labs and it will not be provided due to licensing restrictions.
- If you need the media for an Independent Study or Research project, you are able to use the MSDNAA account provided to you as an IT, NSSA or Gaming Student to download the Operating System and license key for your use. More information can be found here.
I would like to borrow equipment to use over break or for an extended period, how can I do this?
- Unfortunately, we cannot allow equipment to be checked out of the labs for extended periods of time due to the limited number of some of these items. All equipment must be used in the labs.